TogetherHDY Week – Inaugural celebration of Diversity & Inclusion at HDY
23 May 2016
Former High Court Judge, the Honourable Michael Kirby AC CMG today (Monday 23 May) officially launched TogetherHDY Week, a week-long celebration of Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Henry Davis York (HDY).
The Honourable Mr Kirby officially launched the TogetherHDY Week of special events and education sessions at the firm's Sydney office this morning. TogetherHDY is the new umbrella brand under which all HDY D&I initiatives will operate at the firm.
According to HDY's Managing Partner, Michael Greene: "As a long-standing and passionate supporter for Diversity & Inclusion in all its forms, the Hon Michael Kirby is the ideal choice to formally launch the firm's special recognition of D&I, giving his compelling insights into the value and power of diversity."
D&I is an area that resonates strongly at HDY and an area he is passionate about, Michael said. "An absolute commitment to Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our strategy as a firm and integral to the Vision we have of ourselves as a market-leading, dynamic and diverse law firm.
"Seeking to achieve greater demographic diversity is just one aspect of our Diversity & Inclusion initiatives. Utilising and leveraging the diversity of thought our people offer is just as important.
"In order for that to happen it is paramount that people feel comfortable to be themselves in the workplace without fear of criticism or judgment. You will only ever get the best from your people if they feel included and valued."
TogetherHDY goes to the heart of what true Diversity & Inclusion means: regardless of individual's differences, people come together and support each other as one team, one firm.
TogetherHDY week will also feature:
- an educational session on Diversity and Unconscious Bias, run by internationally recognised expert in the area, Heather Price from Symmetra;
- a special launch event of HDY's new internal LGBTIQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning) network – HDYPride; and
- an insightful session on LGBTIQ awareness run by Ishwar Singh from 'Pride in Diversity'.
HDY has already undertaken a significant amount of work in the area of D&I. The firm's achievements include:
- proud signatories to the Law Council of Australia's Diversity & Equality Charter;
- active member of 'Pride in Diversity';
- awarded Workplace Gender Equality Agency's (WGEA) Employer of Choice for Gender Equality citation for 5 consecutive years;
- a higher percentage of women in the workforce and in partnership and senior management positions compared to industry norms;
- culturally embedded a well-developed Flexibility Program, with a dedicated Flexibility Manager;
- commitment to the CareerTrackers Indigenous Internship, including a signatory to their 10x10 Initiative to create 3,500 internship opportunities over 10 years for Indigenous students and graduates across the private sector; and
- regular health and wellbeing programs.
HDY is committed to continually improve its workplace environment to harness the diversity of all its people.
For further information contact:
Head of Communications
Henry Davis York
61 2 9947 6568
61 408 939 226