Since Australia’s Federation, commissions of inquiry have been established with regularity. While recent public attention and media scrutiny has brought these proceedings into the mainstream, commissions of inquiry have long been an important part of the Australian government system.
Involvement in a commission of inquiry can often be an emotional and stressful experience, particularly when conducted in the public spotlight. Our team has been heavily involved in some of Australia’s most high profiles Royal Commissions and Special Commissions, and is well-versed in what is required to protect our clients’ interests. We will be with you every step of the way.
How we can help
Having taken an active role in each of the recent significant Royal Commissions and Special Commissions in NSW, we understand the need to:
- Reach an understanding of the facts quickly
- Ensure personnel and systems operate appropriately, and properly reflect the thoroughness of systems or the professionalism of employees
- Highlight risk management issues with a view to correcting any areas for change and minimising future impact
- Manage the inquiry in a consistent and cost efficient manner
- Work with the relevant employees to ensure that they understand the process, feel supported and give evidence which assists the inquiry, and
- Where appropriate, work with counsel assisting and the Coroner to develop recommendations which achieve this balance.
Our team’s experience in acting in various forms of inquiries means that we can provide our clients with dedicated teams that are able to respond swiftly and clearly to issues as they arise. We offer document management systems that allow for efficient analysis and reproduction of relevant material, making the evidentiary process smoother for our clients.
We also support the development of our clients' internal response procedures by providing regular seminars and client updates in this specialised area of law.
Whether mobilising people to review tens of thousands of documents within very tight timeframes is required, or you need support to ensure you and your company’s people are fully prepared to give testimony, we can support you.
Our insight examined what a Royal Commission could involve and what organisations can do now to prepare – see:
HDY is currently represented on the following panels for Commissions of Inquiry engagements:
- Commonwealth Government Legal Services Multi User List Panel.
- NSW Whole of Government Panel.